Sexual harassment in the workplace is not just illegal, it is also demeaning and damaging. Worse, victims often don’t report harassment because they fear losing their jobs or have received a direct threat that this would be the case. Retaliation is also illegal.
At Yoosefian Law Firm, P.C., we are on your side. If you are being harassed, we give you a safe space to talk about your situation and learn about your employee rights and legal options. If you have a case, we will fight to help you obtain legal justice and compensation.
Call our office in Glendale, California, at 818-275-1529 to schedule a free consultation. Hablamos español.
Two Categories Of Workplace Harassment And Examples
Quid pro quo harassment: This type of harassment is an exchange of “this for that.” A person in a position of power suggests or requests a sexual favor, act or relationship in exchange for an employment benefit or retaliating against an employee who refuses. Examples may include:
- Promoting employees only if they agree to sex or other sexual acts
- Failing to promote or demoting employees who refuse sexual advances
- Giving better hours or shifts to people they are sleeping with
- Giving employees a raise after sexual favors
- Writing bad performance reviews for employees who refuse sexual advances
- Threatening an employee who wants to end a sexual relationship with a supervisor
Hostile working environment: This type of harassment involves situations in which unwelcome and/or frequent sexual conduct affects an employee’s ability to do their job. This type of harassment is not limited to people in positions of power; actions between co-workers can give rise to a hostile or abusive work environment. Examples may include:
- Posting sexually explicit or offensive pictures in a break room
- Telling inappropriate sexual jokes
- Touching an employee repeatedly without consent
- Making derogatory comments about a specific gender
Were You The Victim Of Sexual Harassment? Contact Us.
If you are the victim of sexual harassment in the workplace, contact us for a free consultation. One of our lawyers will evaluate your case and help you enforce your rights. Call 818-275-1529 or send us an email. Our office is in Glendale, but we represent workers throughout Southern California. Hablamos español.