COVID-19 UPDATE: Due to local and state “stay at home” orders our office location is closed. We will be monitoring and checking our telephone messages remotely and we will still be able to help and answer questions by email. We will continue to monitor the situation and are committed to maintaining the safest possible environment for our staff and clients.

Is this workplace bullying?

  1. You are here: Home
  2.  » 
  3. Blog
  4.  » Is this workplace bullying?

Many of us wish to believe that bullying is a childhood issue, confined to high school cafeterias. Unfortunately, this is not the case. In fact, bullying is an increasing problem across the workplace.

In many instances, bullying can also escalate into harassment. If that happens to you, what should you do about it? How can you identify bullying properly in the first place?

Who experiences bullying?

The Muse looks into bullying at the workplace. According to a listed study, 19 percent of responders to a survey said they have personally experienced bullying at work. Another 19 percent said they witnessed others get bullied at work. This is a total of 38 percent of responders who have a form of awareness of bullying at the workplace.

Cases of bullying and harassment often go hand in hand or share certain ties. Cases involving bullying can also escalate to the point in which they become harassment. Both serve as undeserved and unwarranted stressors on your life. Both can also negatively impact your career.

Toxic work environments

The creation of a toxic workplace environment through bullying is not a new phenomenon. It can drive employers to consider quitting their jobs. It can also prevent workers from achieving their full potential. After all, it is hard to concentrate on work alone when you have to worry about the possibility of getting harassed and ridiculed by your coworkers or even management.

If you have faced bullying at work, it may actually entitle you to compensation. Consider contacting legal help to learn more about your options if you wish to pursue this.